Monday 28 May 2012

Coffee chocolate ripple ice cream (for Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream)

For a while now I've been wanting to take part in Kavey's Bloggers Screan for Ice Cream, which makes me drool every month. Last month's theme was sorbet and I was really intending to make the effort but time got the better of me. This month, the theme is chocolate, and while I love chocolate I actually really dislike chocolate ice cream (weird, I know!) so I had to think of some sort of ice cream that involved chocolate in some other way. And it couldn't be stracciatella because I've done that before
What I came up with is rather in keeping with a theme that's been prominent on my blog over the last couple of weeks - coffee! But this has nothing to do with the other challenge I'm taking part in, this is strictly for BSFIC. I love coffee ice cream but it's really difficult to find in the shops, and when you do find it usually it's really not very nice at all (unless you happen to be in Italy), so again the diet has gone out the window and I've made some coffee chocolate ripple ice cream.


I use a Magimix Le Glacier 1.5L machine, having upgraded from the Kenwood 1.1L I used to have because I wanted a bigger capacity, but I think the mix will be fine for a smaller machine. I would kill for an ice cream machine with a built-in freezer but the budget unfortunately won't stretch that far! This recipe comes in two parts, but both parts are very easy so please don't feel put off. 

 
Big one for the ice cream, little one for me.

COFFEE ICE CREAM

Ingredients:

250ml semi skimmed or whole milk
Approx 150ml strong black coffee (I used a whole six-cup Bialetti pot)
4 egg yolks
80g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
1 tsp cornflour
300ml whipping cream

Before you start, fill the sink with cold water and add some ice cubes.

Put the milk, coffee and the seeds from the vanilla pod in a saucepan, whisk together and heat until just before it boils.

Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a big bowl.

Pour the hot milk/coffee mixture onto the egg mixture slowly while constantly whisking (if you pour it all in too quickly it will cook the eggs!), and then return this mix to the saucepan. Heat it gently while stirring constantly until it thickens up enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (don't boil it, or it will curdle). What you have just made is a thin coffee custard. Pour it back into the bowl you used to whisk the eggs, add the cold whipping cream and whisk it in, and stand this in the sink full of icy water - this will stop the custard cooking. Leave it there till it cools down enough to go in the fridge, and then chill till it's really cold - preferably overnight. 

With some extra sauce drizzled over the top...

Meanwhile...

CHOCOLATE SYRUP (makes 2 jam jars full)

Ingredients:

1 cup of cocoa powder
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of water
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cornflour, mixed together with 2 tsp cold water

Sieve the cocoa powder into a small saucepan. Add the sugar, salt, water and vanilla and whisk it all together. Bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes. Pour in the cornflour mixed with water, and whisk it in - the mixture will thicken up. Take off the heat, pour into jam jars and let cool before putting in the fridge until completely cold.

Now churn your ice cream in your ice cream machine, or if you normally just freeze it in a tub and take it out every few hours to give it a mix around, that's fine too.

When it's ready (it should still be quite soft), scoop it out into a tub and do the next bit by hand. Add a few tablespoons of the chocolate syrup to the tub and swirl it all around with a fork. Don't mix it in completely, you want to see a nice chocolatey ripple going through the ice cream. You can add as much syrup as you want.

Now stick the tub in the freezer and leave it there for another couple of hours until it's firmed up enough to scoop out and eat!


I'm sorry this recipe looks quite long, but honestly it really is very easy and the bits where you're actually involved (ie making the custard and making the syrup) probably take no more than 15 minutes for both - the syrup takes five minutes at most and is so incredibly versatile that it's worth having some in your fridge at all times to drizzle over ice cream, swirl through yoghurt or, best of all, to add a few spoonfuls to a glass of cold milk for some instant chocolate milk that's as good as the stuff you used to get when you were a kid :)

Thanks to Kavey for running such a great blog challenge, I can't wait to see everyone's recipes.

7 comments:

  1. I love coffee ice cream! I can recommend making some with a condensed milk base instead of regular custard, as that goes so well with coffee, like a Vietnamese hot or cold coffee. So good! Good to have the chocolate in an ice cream syrup this time, nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore coffee ice cream... my favourite... I must make this ASAP!!!!!... I love it with coffee nibs in it too, which makes it slightly crunchy but sooooo good x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff. I agree that most of the coffee ice cream in the shops is a disappointment. This looks like the real thing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...I like the idea of making my own chocolate syrup as well, since I hate using the corn syrupy store version (everything - almost literally everything - in America is made with high fructose corn syrup).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buoyed by positive findings, more research is being conducted on chocolate's health benefits. Including potential cancer-fighting abilities and improved cognitive function.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks absolutely delicious! I will definitely make a note of it for whenever the summer days are back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YoBit lets you to claim FREE COINS from over 100 unique crypto-currencies, you complete a captcha one time and claim as much as coins you want from the available offers.

    After you make about 20-30 claims, you complete the captcha and continue claiming.

    You can click claim as many times as 50 times per one captcha.

    The coins will held in your account, and you can exchange them to Bitcoins or Dollars.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...