Saturday 19 May 2012

Fat-free chocolate espresso brownies - for Coffee Set Match


As you may have seen from my previous post, I'm currently following Weight Watchers and have so far lost two stone. Now I have no intention of only creating Weight Watchers-friendly recipes for the Coffee Set Match challenge, but I thought I'd kick off with something a little bit less guilt-inducing than usual, so we can all save a few extra calories for when we really need them! It's our friend Mike's birthday on Monday and we are going for a yummy Indian meal so I'm trying to be good for a few days beforehand and save myself... anyway do give these a try, they don't taste anything like diet food whatsoever! 

Ingredients:

100g self raising flour
60g cocoa powder (I like Bourneville)
Pinch of salt
75g soft brown sugar
2 whole eggs, beaten
2 egg whites
1 shot of espresso (I used a Lavazza Appassionatamente capsule), left to cool a bit

Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC and grease and flour a square 18cm tin. I've been using Dr Oetker Cake Release Spray recently which is very good indeed and can be found in Tesco etc.

Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and salt together (or if you're lazy, like me, tip it all into a bowl and use a whisk to mix it all together which will get rid of 95% of the lumps). Mix in the two beaten eggs with a big spoon, followed by the shot of espresso. The mixture will be very thick.

Take a separate bowl and make sure it is free of grease. Rubbing a cut lemon over the inside is a good way to make sure there's no trace of grease - a little tip for you! Whisk the two egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Tip in the sugar and continue to whisk until the stiff peaks look lovely and glossy. Resist the temptation to eat the lovely beige-coloured raw meringue, difficult though it may be.

Add a third of the meringue to the rest of the mixture and fold it in gently. This will loosen up the mixture. Fold in the remaining two thirds, nice and gently, being careful not to overmix as this will knock all the air out of the meringue.

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 14-15 minutes. The top should be set but still just slightly squidgey. Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out and cut into squares. 


These are yummiest when still warm from the oven, but do try and eat them on the same day as you make them (yes, I'm sure you can manage this difficult task) as they do stale quite quickly. However they freeze extremely well, wrapped in cling film, and if you zap a frozen brownie in the microwave for thirty seconds it will be defrosted and warmed to perfection.

I hope you enjoy these brownies, but check back soon as I also plan to make some cappuccino brownies next week that are most definitely not diet friendly!

Don't forget to enter Lavazza's competition to win some fab prizes!

5 comments:

  1. Well done you, that's amazing! Am bookmarking this as my chocolate-loving FIL is now on a fat-free diet for health reasons. He'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great - although I'd question whether they were genuinely fat free if you have two egg yolks in them? Maybe butter-free? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god... 2 stone!... that is incredible!... i'm so desperate to loose weight... well done you, I must follow your lead... and bake these brownies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back, I've been wondering what had happened to you. Well now I know, losing masses of weight - very well done. Glad to see you are allowed an occasional treat though. I'd imagine the these are quite crisp if using loads of egg white - sound good anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah - you're right, that never even occurred to me. Low fat then, or oil/butter free... but definitely better for you than eating a big slice of chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...