Thursday 17 February 2011

the humble muffin

Dear blog,

I am sorry that I created you months and months ago, spent ages listing all my cookbooks on a separate tab and then completely neglected you. I promise to be better in future, and actually take photos of lots of lovely food and share them with the world.


By way of apology, here is a recipe for some healthy muffins. I know, healthy isn't a word you'd normally associate with the stuff that comes out of my oven, but now and then I surprise myself.

Preheat the oven to 225ºC.

Ingredients:

225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
big pinch of salt
240ml plain yoghurt (or as much yoghurt as you have, and make up the rest with milk)
1 egg
120g soft light brown sugar
2 heaped tablespoons honey
60g bran
90ml vegetable/rapeseed oil
handful linseeds
handful chopped walnuts
pumpkin seeds
extra milk to loosen mixture

Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt into a large bowl. I have to admit I don't do this - I just throw it in and mix it around.

Measure the yoghurt/milk into a measuring jug. Crack in the egg and mix it in with a fork. Add the sugar, honey, bran and oil, mixing with the fork after each addition.

Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and fold it in - you will probably need a bit of extra milk to loosen it up as it may be quite stiff. Don't overmix it, it should still be lumpy. When you're almost done, add the linseeds and walnuts and fold them in.

Divide the mixture into about twelve muffin cases (mine are from Ikea, I thought they were cute). Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the top. Place in the oven and immediately turn the oven temperature down to 200ºC. The initial burst of heat helps the muffins to rise nicely, and turning it down immediately stops them burning, see? Time it for twenty minutes, take them out and cool on a wire rack. Eat at least one while they're still quite warm, they're much nicer that way.


Another confession - I have a new camera. I'm used to an SLR but this is a little compact with all auto settings, and I'm finding it very hard to get a decent photo. So as mine were all either over or under exposed, I have photoshopped the hell out of them, just for fun.

I doubt my next post (and yes, there will be one) will be as healthy as this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...